Dr. Jan Roskam
Dr. Roskam retired as the Dean E. Ackers Distinguished Professor in Aerospace Engineering at The University of Kansas in Lawrence, Kansas in 2003. He is the author of a two-volume text called: Airplane Flight Dynamics and Automatic Flight Controls and an eight volume text called: Airplane Design. He has co-authored (with Dr. C. Edward Lan) a text called: Airplane Aerodynamics and Performance. These texts are used by more than fifty universities and by aerospace companies in the USA and abroad. In addition he has authored or co-authored over 150 papers, articles and technical reports.
Dr. Roskam is a Fellow in the AIAA (American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics) and a Fellow in the SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) as well as a Fellow in the Royal Aeronautical Society (England).
Before joining K.U. in 1967, Dr. Roskam had twelve years of experience working for Aviolanda Aircraft Co. (in The Netherlands), for Cessna Aircraft Co. (in Wichita, Kansas) and for The Boeing Company (in Wichita, Kansas and in Seattle, Washington). He received his MSAE (1954) from the Delft University of Technology (The Netherlands) and his Ph.D. in Aeronautics and Astronautics (1965) from The University of Washington (Seattle).
Before founding DARcorporation, Dr. Roskam was a consultant to companies in the USA and in Europe and also served as a consultant to NASA, USAF and DARPA. Dr. Roskam has been actively involved in the design and development of the following aircraft: Aviolanda AT 21, Cessna T-37, Boeing TFX design, Boeing SST design, Learjet Models 25, 35/36 and 55, Cessna Citation I, SIAI Marchetti S-211 and Piaggio 180-Avanti.
Jan Roskam managed the low speed and transonic speed windtunnel programs for the SIAI Marchetti S-211 and Piaggio 180-Avanti.
In 1991 Jan Roskam established DARcorporation and functioned as president until 2004. He supervises the technical aspects of all consulting work. Dr. Roskam reviews all consulting work and is involved with all engineering meetings for consulting projects.
- 1954-1957: Assistant Chief Designer, Aviolanda Aircraft Company, The Netherlands
- 1957-1959: Preliminary Design Engineer and Senior Aerodynamics Engineer, Cessna Aircraft Company, Wichita, KS
- 1959-1967: Senior Group Engineer, The Boeing Company, Wichita, KS and Seattle, WA
- 1967-1974: Professor of Aerospace Engineering, The University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS
- 1967-1984: Director, Flight Research Laboratory, Center for Research Inc., Lawrence, KS
- 1972-1976: Chairman, Department of Aerospace Engineering, The University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS
- 1972-2001: President, Roskam Aviation and Engineering Corporation, Lawrence, KS
- 1974-2003: Ackers Distinguished Professor of Aerospace Engineering, The University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS
- 1976-1985: Member of various Advisory Committees to NASA
- 1985-1988: Member, Aerospace Engineering Board, National Research Council
- 1987-1993: Member, USAF X-29 Future Applications Committee
- 1990-1993: Member, Laboratory Advisory Group, Flight Dynamics Laboratory, WPAFB, Dayton, OH
- 1991-2004: President, Design, Analysis and Research Corporation (DAR), Lawrence, KS
Principal Consulting Work:
- The Boeing Company, Seattle, WA and Wichita, KS
- Gates Learjet Corporation, Wichita, KS
- Beech Aircraft Corporation, Wichita, KS
- Cessna Aircraft Company, Wichita, KS
- Bell Helicopter Company, Fort Worth, TX
- Teledyne Brown Engineering, Huntsville, AL
- SRI International, Stanford, CA
- Piper Aircraft Corporation, Vero Beach, FL
- SIAI-Marchetti S.p.A., Sesto Calende, Italy
- Rinaldo Piaggio S.p.A., Finale Ligure, Italy
- Grumman Corporation, Bethpage, NY
- Smith Aircraft Corporation, Bay St.Louis, MS
- Airbus Industrie, Blagnac, France
- Tau Beta Pi, Sigma Gamma Tau, Sigma Xi, Omicron Delta Kappa
- Gould Award for excellence in undergraduate teaching: 1969 and 1996
- SAE Forest McFarland Award: 1983
- AIAA General Aviation Award: 1986
- University of Kansas Higuchi Award: 1986
- AIAA John Leland Atwood Award: 1987
- Fellow, AIAA: 1989
- Fellow, SAE: 1990
- Fellow, RAeS: 2010
- SAE Distinguished Speaker Award: 1990
- AIAA Distinguished Lecturer: 1989-1990
- University of Kansas Ned Fleming Teaching Award
- Outstanding Aerospace Engineering Educator by the aerospace engineering seniors in 1990, 1992, 1996, 1998 and 2000
- Governor of Kansas General Aviation Award for 1993
- Design Awards for leading a team of 30 students and faculty from KU, WSU and KState to a first place win in the first NASA/FAA General Aviation Aircraft Design Competition of 1995, 1997 and 1998.
Dr. Roskam has taught over 150 short courses:
Through KU Division of Continuing Education: Dr. Roskam is active in teaching short courses on the subjects of Airplane Design, Airplane Performance, and Airplane Stability and Control through the KU Division of Continuing Education. These courses were taught in the following countries: USA, France, England, Germany, Singapore, Canada and Australia.
Through NSF: A two-week short course, sponsored by NSF (National Science Foundation) on Airplane Design for a group of twenty US university professors at KU from Airplane Design at KU, in 1990, July 13-24 (2 weeks), attendees: 19 university professors. In 1991 he did the same course for a group of 20 university professors (July 22 - August 2, 1991).
- Expert Member, Search Committee for a Professorship in Aeronautics at the Royal Institute of Technology (KTH), Stockholm, Sweden
- Served as committee member on the PhD committee for Mr. J. Middel of Delft University of Technology, The Netherlands at the request of Professor E. Torenbeek, chairman of that committee. Was invited and accepted to review the dissertation and to attend its public defense in Delft, The Netherlands on April 13, 1992
- U.S. Editor of the Aircraft Design Journal, a quarterly journal published by Elsevier Publishing, United Kingdom. First issue published in March 1998. This was a three-year appointment. Prof. E. Torenbeek of Delft University of Technology in The Netherlands is the European Editor
- Member, ETAB (Emerging Technologies Applications Board) for the SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) 1993-1995
- Member, AIAA (American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics) Aircraft Design Technical Committee (1982-1994)
- Member, SAE General Aviation Aircraft Committee for the organization of the 1997 SAE Business Aircraft Meeting, April 29-May 3, 1997 in Wichita, Kansas
- Organizer of the Session on Aircraft Design Methodology at the SAE Business Aircraft Meeting, May 17-19, Wichita, Kansas, 1993
- AIAA Distinguished Lecturer, 1989 - 1991
- Member, Fellow-Peer-Review committee for AIAA (1990-2000)
- Member, X-29 Applications Committee, USAF (1991)
- Member of the USAF/DARPA X-29 Future Applications Committee (1992)
- Member, Board of Trustees, Ottawa Public Education Trust (1990 through 1994)